Organizations working to recruit, train, and support progressive candidates in NC.
- Now or Never NC – An NC political action committee that funds progressive candidates for the NC General Assembly who support voting rights, fair redistricting, and democratic principles.
- Our Shot NC is raising money to support progressive candidates with early seed money so that their campaigns can organize and can hit the ground running. For some qualified candidates, lack of financial support early on is the difference between success and failure of a campaign.
- Lillian’s List – An NC organization that trains and funds progressive women candidates in North Carolina.
- LEAD NC – Lead NC encourages and cultivates community leaders for North Carolina, including people who may run for office.
- Break the majority – a NC Democratic Party-led initiative to win NC state races to break the legislative supermajority.
Organizations working for voting rights and fair elections in North Carolina.
- The North Carolina NAACP – The NAACP is the oldest civil rights organization in the country. As Rev. Barber says, “it is not a Black organization, it is a Civil Rights Organization”.
- Southern Coalition for Justice – Founded in the town where I was born, Durham, NC, the Southern Coalition for Justice promotes justice by empowering minority and low-income communities to defend and advance their political, social and economic rights. I have seen their voting rights attorneys in action, and they TOTALLY ROCK.
- League of Women Voters – The LWV is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It sponsor debates and works to educate voters about candidates and issues.
- Democracy NC – Democracy North Carolina is a nonpartisan organization that uses research, organizing, and advocacy to educate and empower voters. I volunteered with Democracy North Carolina this past election, and I got more out of the experience than I gave. They have great training and provide voter education materials.
- You Can Vote is a grassroots coalition working to inform citizens of their right to vote and to help them overcome perceived barriers to voting in North Carolina. They train and mobilize volunteers to educate, register, and empower all North Carolina citizens to successfully cast their ballot – and they have been BUSY these past few months training all the new grassroots organizations in voter registration and engagement!
- Progress North Carolina – Progress North Carolina promotes public policies which make NC a fairer, healthier, more equitable state by advocating solutions to critical community problems. It also provides North Carolinians with news and analysis on state government. There is SO MUCH news to keep up with, their weekly newsletter provide us all with a vital service.
Grassroots organizations advocating for progressive causes in North Carolina.